Friday, August 26, 2011

Digital Natives and Residents VS. Digital Immigrants and Visitors



 
 
       In the recent readings for class the topic of discussion is over technology terms that describe the use of technology in one's life.  As David White explains there are terms that represent those who spend a large percentage of their life online, "residents", and those who do not, "visitors."  White states that residents live a life in which the web supports.  That their relationships are driven by the web and socializing, living and self expression are are done through some sort of online source or program. (2008) The other term he uses is to represent those who go online for a specific task such as researching a phone number or to get directions.  These "visitors" use online tools when needed but they do not constantly express themselves online or socialize mainly through online resources.  
       Comparably, Marc Prensky describes these terms to be Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants.  (2001)  The Digital Natives represent those people who are "native speakers" of the language of technology of today.  Those people who have become interested in the digital world at a later point in their lives and participate in some of the aspects of technology are referred to as Digital Immigrants.  When the Digital Immigrant goes onto the internet they are doing it as a secondary thought as apposed to their first option.  (Prensky, 2001)  They are easily distinguished from natives through what Prensky calls the "immigrant accent."  The example he uses is the person who makes a phone call to ask, "Did you receive my email?"  
       In my past two years of teaching I have most often encountered the Digital Immigrant because of the teams I have been on.  I have worked with a teacher with 43 years experience and another with 45 years.  Both of these teachers did not except a new Promethean Board in their classrooms because it was their last year or couple of years before retirement.  Prensky says that Digital Immigrants are not impressed by the new skills of the Digital Natives, nor do they wish to understand the skills. (2001)  The video below is a representation of the other side of the story.  It is so easy to judge and be upset with the older generation as they sit and refuse to adapt to new technologies.  Through my two years of working with these individuals however, I began to try to see it from their point of view.  After teaching for 43 years in the same type of style, how could they possible adapt all of this new technology in their one final year?  I am not saying I completely side with them, but sometimes it is important to at least consider what they may be feeling.  Could this change in their world really be that difficult to handle?


 

             Pensky's Digital Native concept is what I personally experience as the learners of today.  As an elementary teacher, I do find that my students have been born in the era of advanced and constantly improving technology.  The students have multiple devices available to them at one time and typically are operating them all at once.  Pensky believes that as teachers we have to adapt to the new language of our learners. (2001)  I agree with this idea in the sense that we "do not have to change the meaning of what is important, but we do have to go faster."  I believe that the content can stay mostly the same and the way in which we instruct and present information must change.  For example, adapting all of the lessons in the classroom to be used on the SMART board.  The same basal reader can still be used, but graphic organizers can be interactive and stories can be read aloud through the speakers.  
           I find these terms to be valuable in determining the competency of my learners regarding technology.  The only aspect of the terms that I question is how specific we can be about fitting into one category or another.  I truly feel as though people around my age (27) tend to be stuck somewhere in the middle.  I could never claim to be a person who immerses myself in technology and lives a life in the online environment.  However, I do use the computer and online resources for more than banking and searching for information on a topic.  I think I could probably classify myself as being somewhere in the middle, if that is possible.
         The terms of White of the visitor and resident are a more accurate description of people than the Digital Natives and Immigrants because I feel as though some students really do "live" their lives online.  Pensky's points are valid and are extremely important, but in terms of my own personal use of the vocabulary, I will stick to residents and visitors. 


Resources:
miscoehill. (October 27, 2009) YouTube.com.  Retrieved August 26, 2011 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jMy3kSNRAQ

Prensky, M. (October 2011) Digital natives, digital immigrants. NCB Univeristy Press (Vol 9 No 5).

White, D. (July 23, 2008) Not “natives and immigrants” but visitors and residents. Retrieved from http://tallblog.conted.ox.ac.uk/index.php/2008/07/23/not-natives-immigrants-but-visitors-residents/ 

wolffwrtf09. (November 3, 2009) YouTube.com. Retrieved August 24, 2011 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVcWiRzTNI

No comments:

Post a Comment